Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy St. Patricks Day!



An Irish Blessing:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

This is perhaps one of the most well know Irish blessings, but it is also one of my favorites. My grandmother used to have this on a Celtic cross-shaped plaque above her bed. I just remember visiting her and reading the blessing. Now, everytime I read it I think of her.

The cross in the above photo is a pendant that my grandmother gave me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dad had an embroidered bookmark with that on it...I love it! I'm also partial to "May you be in Heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead". It SOUNDS Irish, right? ;)

A&AC project said...

That looks like a Claddagh ring in the centre -they're traditional rings from Galway. Happy Paddy's day from Ireland!